During each quarter of the year, Sereno Group’s Coastal Offices in Santa Cruz and Aptos choose two recipients to receive a grant from Sereno’s 1% for Good Charitable Foundation. Each agent has the opportunity to donate 1% of their commissions to the 1% for Good Program which means that it is 100% agent funded. Since 2012, Sereno agents across the Bay Area have donated over $2,148,723 to local organizations!
It's hard to believe that we are already in the fourth quarter of 2019! The first recipient for the 4th quarter of 2019 is Felton Library Friends, a non-profit that supports the Felton Branch Library and new Nature Discovery Park. This organization was formed in 2005 after the Felton Library Branch was close to permanent closure. Since then, the group has advocated for better library services, fought more closure attempts, helped in the design of the new library, and contributed to the Measures S and R.
The new Felton Library is now under construction and set to open at the beginning of next year! Library features include:
- Children’s Area
- Community Meeting Room
- Fireplace Reading Area
- Multi-Purpose Room focused on providing an area for teens
- Study Room
- Outside Patio
- An adjacent Nature Discovery Park
Other important items include:
- Community computers
- Plug-in and work stations
- Free Wifi
- Equipment to help children discover nature
- Programs including homework help, environmental topics, nature crafts, children’s storytime, craft days, and much more
Interested in getting involved with this important community project? There are a few ways to do it:
- Donate: Measure S did not cover all items needed for the library, so donations are greatly appreciated. Donations will help cover items like outdoor art and benches, quality equipment for discovering and creating, and upgrades to furniture to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Volunteer: If you’d like to donate your time and expertise, Felton Library Friends has numerous ways to help out. Some of their teams include event help, community event planning or helping out in the new park. For a full list and to sign up, click here.
To view detailed library plans and progress updates, go to feltonlibraryfriends.org
History on the 1% for Good Program
The 1% for Good program originated in the Santa Cruz Sereno Group office out of a desire to help contribute to worthwhile community causes through philanthropic donations. The program has since extended to other Sereno Group branches and offices in the Bay Area, resulting in a joint effort to support and contribute to local communities. Each office independently decides which local organization they will donate 1% of quarterly commissions to, allowing them to find a worthy local cause and donate where it’s needed the most.